Needing a root canal tops the list as one of the most common yet highly misunderstood dental procedures. In fact, popular belief has influenced people to wince at the mere mention of the term “root canal.” However, learning the truth about what root therapy is and what it can do for your oral health can help you feel more at ease about the procedure.
5 Truths about Root Canals
- A root canal may be the only procedure that can save your tooth. If your dentist has suggested a root canal, it is because the tooth pulp has become infected or damaged. It cannot heal on its own or be repaired with a filling or crown alone. This infection needs to be removed with root canal therapy in order to save the tooth and avoid an extraction.
- Root canals are not painful. Perhaps the most common misconception about root canals is that they are very painful. This is simply not true. Instead, a root canal is no more uncomfortable than getting a dental filling. With today’s modern dental technique and sedation dentistry options, patients can remain relaxed and pain-free during the entire procedure.
- A root canal can bring you out of pain. An infected tooth can be a source of significant sensitivity and pain. This is because the area of infection is at the site where your tooth nerves reside. A root canal not only eradicates the bacteria inside your tooth, but it also removes the infected tooth pulp so that your toothache is instantly relieved.
- Root canals are a long-term solution. A root canal not only provides immediate pain relief, but it is designed to be a long-lasting restoration for the affected tooth. Root canals preserve the tooth indefinitely, especially when a crown is subsequently used to restore the tooth’s strength and function.
- Root canals are safe. There is an old myth that tried to claim that root canals cause illness. Rest assured that root canals are effective and very safe, and this myth was based on poor research in the 1920s.
If you need to have a root canal, don’t fret or fear. Gainesville Dental Group that has everything you need to feel comfortable, safe and confident in this important restorative treatment. We deliver root canal therapy with flawless precision and remarkable results.
1026 Thompson Bridge Road
Gainesville, GA 30501
Wednesday & Thursday 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday 8:30 AM – 2:00 PM
Posted on behalf of Gainesville Dental Group