A routine is a set of activities that you repeat over and over again in order to achieve a certain goal or to simplify an area of your life. People have routines in place for many different areas of their lives, yet it is important not to neglect your oral health. By developing a good dental routine, you can ward off oral health issues such as gingivitis, chronic bad breath, discoloration of the teeth, periodontal disease, and tooth loss. These issues do not occur over night, but are rather the result of not implementing a good dental routine.
Below are daily essentials for promoting optimal oral health:
- Floss daily. It does not matter how tired you are, if you are not feeling well, or that you just do not enjoy it – the truth is that flossing is the most important step of your dental routine. Floss is the only tool designed to clean the tight spaces between the teeth where plaque and food particles become trapped. Without daily removal of these, significant damage to your oral health will occur quickly.
- Brush at least twice a day. Brushing your teeth helps to loosen plaque buildup that coats the surfaces of the teeth. Brushing also helps to extract the particles that were loosened during flossing, keeps your breath fresh, and your teeth healthy.
- Rinse your toothbrush and store it properly. Rinsing the toothbrush is important to remove the plaque and particles that become trapped in the bristles. Rinse it under fast, running water after every use. It is important to store it in an upright position so that it dries out fast, eliminating an ideal environment for bacteria to thrive and multiply.
- Replace your toothbrush often. If you have ever wondered why you receive a new toothbrush at each dental visit, it is because your dentist understands how important it is to use a clean tool for cleaning your teeth. Over time, even with proper rinsing, bacteria will begin to multiply on your toothbrush. Replace it every 3-6 months.
- Visit the dentist regularly. While what you do day in and day out is important, having a professional dental cleaning twice a year is vital to your oral health. Regular dental visits also allow your dentist to identify concerns early on before they cause damage to your smile.
At Gainesville Dental Group, we care about all aspects of your oral health. Please contact our practice today to schedule an appointment.
Gainesville, GA 30501
Wednesday & Thursday 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday 8:30 AM – 2:00 PM