As with all illnesses and diseases, knowing the warning signs can help to save your life. A cancer diagnosis is one of the scariest diagnoses that anyone can receive. Even though many advancements have been made in cancer treatment, there is still a high death rate among those diagnosed with this disease. Oral cancer is not one of the most common cancers, yet it can still cause significant deterioration to your health and loss of life. Oral cancer is the uncontrollable growth of cells that invade the oral cavity. In order to identify any warning signs of oral cancer, you must first understand that your oral cavity is made up of your lips, tongue, teeth, gums, palate, floor of the mouth, throat, and sinuses. If signs of cancer are caught in a timely manner, early intervention is often very successful.
Below are common warning signs of oral cancer:
- Any type of growth inside the oral cavity
- Lumps, bumps, rough spots, or crusty spots inside the mouth or throat
- Red, white, or splotchy patches inside the mouth or throat
- Persistent sores on the lips, cheeks, top, bottom, or back of the mouth
- Unexplained bleeding inside the mouth
- Unexplained numbness in the lips, tongue, or throat
- Unexplained pain in the facial features or anywhere inside the mouth
- A “clogged” feeling in your throat that will not clear
- Chronic hoarseness or change in your voice
- Chronic sore throat
- Ear pain
- Ill-fitting dentures
- Significant weight loss
Knowing the signs of oral cancer are important because, as you can see from the list above, not all signs are obvious. For instance, most people would not associate ear pain with oral cancer. However, the mouth is connected to the throat, which is connected to the sinuses, which are connected to the ears. This inner connection allows cancer to easily spread and extend beyond just the mouth.
If you have any warning signs of oral cancer, please do not hesitate to contact us at Gainesville Dental Group. Our comprehensive practice is here to serve you in all areas of your oral health.
Posted on behalf of Gainesville Dental Group